Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fancy Chickens

I originally saw this beautiful home, located in Santa Barbara, California, in my print edition of House Beautiful magazine, but saw the link on my Facebook page this morning and thought it would be worth posting. It looks like chicken-keeping is really taking off! (As an aside - I so wish my backyard looked like the photo at right from this home!) This exchange from the article was particularly giggle-inducing for me:
Interviewer Mimi Read: Hey, you've got interesting chickens! I hate to inform you, but raising fancy chickens is officially a hipster trend. Susan Orlean even wrote about it in The New Yorker
Home Owner Penelope Bianchi: I guess Martha Stewart started it. Mine are Mille Fleur bantam chickens. They're just so beautiful, with feathers on their feet! I had them sent to me in a taxi from San Diego.
I'm just picturing these squawking chickens in the back of taxi, rolling up the 101. I wonder what lucky employee got to make that trip with those birds?

Here's the link to the complete article and photo slideshow on the House Beautiful website:

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be happy with a back yard like that. Except for the table area, the rest of it is useless!! I love flowers and gardens and such. But I love have a yard to run around it, chase the dogs and cats, and have the nephews and nieces come play in! Plus, it's funny to see the chickens take off running across the yard!
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar yard and both dogs and chickens run through the foliage like wild animals. Is very cute. LOVE This!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I wish just ONE part of my yard looked that good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My backyard is small. But my husband said he would build a small coop for me. I already have read several books on chicken keeping and have my names all picked out. Now if he would only get started on it I would be in hen heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it -- but don't be too jealous. What they're not showing is the chix perching on the chairs and table, dropping their doo dah all over the furniture. I had to confine mine to the coop (very commodious and large outdoor area) after too many husbandly complaints in that regard.

    ReplyDelete