Friday, August 26, 2011

The Worst Blogger Ever


Yes, that would be me. While I never intended this to be a daily blog, it has now been almost a year since I wrote an entry. Yikes! This will change - I promise! I have lots of garden and hen news to catch everybody up on.

First of all, we now have a super cool egg storage vessel. (Photo at left.) My husband found this at the Rose Bowl Flea Market and it is supposedly from France circa the 1950s. I love it!

Secondly, and sadly, our noisy hen Wanda died last week. It was unexpected and sad, and we still don't know what happened. Luckily we still have Lottie (our black and white) and Maude (the non-colored-egg-laying Easter Egger) and they are in good health. They seem to be a little depressed and this has resulted in very little egg-laying the past week.

We did place an order for three new chicks, which should be arriving the week of September 12. We ordered an Australorp, a Golden Laced Wyandotte and a White Leghorn. (photos below!) It felt a little soon, but we didn't want to wait until Spring to replenish the flock.



Okay, that's it for now! We are in the midst of a major garden/backyard renovation, so I will be posting about that soon.

6 comments:

  1. I've read that fall chickens will mean earlier eggs than waiting for spring, so I think you made a good choice all around.

    Sorry to hear about the loss of your hen. Are you going to get it autopsied to find out what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't take Wanda in for an autopsy. We just decided to watch the other chickens to make sure they were ok (not sick) and they are. I've been told chickens commonly get sick or afflicted with a tumor, etc. that makes them die quite suddenly so I'm just going to chalk it up to that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad to hear the rest of your hens are well.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Blog! Please write more often, I am so in love with chickens, but alas chickens and tortoises don't mix too well.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog inspired me to get chickens. I have 3 that are now two years old and one of them is an Australorp. She's an awesome chicken-- dignified and the big boss around the yard. She's amazingly consistent and easily lays more eggs than my other two. Almost every day. Love my Aussie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I also got my girls from My Pet Chicken. They're great.

    ReplyDelete